Friday 22 July 2011

Ten Things I Love And Hate About Hong Kong: Part 2

#2 - Hate - Nondescript dripping

So I’m walking down the street. It’s a beautiful day: one of those rare, clear blue skies, and the sun is hot but not too oppressive. Thankfully the humidity is not too bad else I wouldn’t even be bothering to walk, I’d be seeking refuge in some air conditioned building or form of transportation instead. All of a sudden, however, I am assailed from above. A large, fat, unseen and unknown globule of water crashes down upon my head and then proceeds to drip down my face, slyly infiltrating beneath my glasses. I grimace, wipe my face, and curse the heavens. “Goddamn you, nondescript dripping!” I look up at the sky – still blue, still clear. Not a rain cloud in sight. So WHAT’S WITH THE DRIPPING?

The answer, I believe, is residue from A/C units. And so, as well as cockroaches, one has to dodge this dastardly dripping. It might not sound like much, but it is bloody annoying, and also a bit gross, because when it happens to you, you never really know what it is or where it came from. And no-one likes unexpected, undefined liquid on their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment